Giants and Phalanxes

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 11:17:36 +1200

Andrew Joelson:

> The part about plundering cradles I don't understand is why the
>giants didn't start escorting the cradles when they discovered that they
>were being plundered.

Attempts were made to protect the Cradles. Paragua and Thog come to mind in the second age come to mind. It seems to enter the River of Cradles (or any other land where the little ones live) is a very expensive undertaking (on par with getting involved in a land war in Asia).

Pam Carlson:

>(1) Urvairinus the Conqueror - invented phalynxes

Not strictly true (pedantic quibble). He introduced formations into warfare. However the Sunstand formation involved circles which seems to be incompatible with the phalanx in the RW classical sense. I'm inclined to believe that Urvairinus's (and Daxdarius's) forces were actually closer to mycenean troops clad in bronze panoplies rather than classical hoplites with unridiculous armour.