Re: Orlanthi vs. Goats

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 09:01:42 -0500

Certain Digesters suggest that since goats are Bad, Orlanthi don't have too many of them. I believe that Orlanthi are only a little bit more distrustful of goats than the average medieval European. In old Europe, goats were associated with Satan -- Satan had horns and cloven hoof, was often shown as a goat, goats figured prominently in the Black Mass, etc. Also, there are fairy tales such as "Why Goats Have the Devil's Eyes" (a genuine story). Obviously, goats are bad. But they weren't persecuted.

        In my heartfelt opinion, in regions that goats are advantageous, the Orlanthi herd goats. In regions where goats are marginal, most households have a goat or two. In regions where goats do worse than other animals, they are rarely found, and some clans and families probably look down on them as "associated with associates of chaos" -- i.e., a rung or two higher than Malia on the Badness ladder.

        I do believe that good Orlanthi abstain from goatsmilk and goatsmeat on holy days. In non-goat areas, this is said to occur because goats are bad. In goaty lands, the explanation is that we are to fast from certain pleasures to better devote our minds to deity.

Sandy