Re: Shamans, amerinds, buffalos

From: Henk Langeveld - ENS Europe ,id 21636,x15338 <Henk.Langeveld_at_Holland.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:54:45 +0200 (MET DST)

I wrote:
> >While the natives *knew* the buffalo intimately, and depended on it
> >for their life, the white hunters with their rifles knew far better
> >how to kill the animals.

Sandy corrects me:
> The only advantage the white man had over the
> indian in killing buffalo was that there were more white men, and
> they had no ecological restriction on killing all the buffalo they
> wanted.

So what I should have said (substituting two words)...
> >While the natives *knew* the buffalo intimately, and depended on it
> >for their life, the white hunters with their rifles knew no better
> >than to kill the animals.

> The same applies to the shamans vs. sorcerers.

The shamans know the territory, the sorcerors don't, and if they sorceror encounters a spirit, his nominal reaction would be to flee or to fight.

I had an idea for a sorceror's hide-out, and have it booby-trapped with enchantments to trap and tap any wandering spirits. Don't know if it would work with the sorcery rules, though.

Henk.Langeveld_at_Sun.COM