Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #202

From: Paul Honigmann <furfur_at_furfur.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:56:19 +0100

Saravan Peacock mentions:

>Yeah, heroism is great... except for those around the hero. Say, it
>sounds a lot like Garrath/Argrath doesn't it? Who remembers all those
>friends of his (maybe many PCs included) who got slaughtered in the
>Cradle adventure?

Reminds me of the end of our superpowered campaign where the mainly Sun  Domer PCs, after several years research & preparation (ie getting water from the Styx) went to get Delecti, who'd been causing a lot of  trouble in the area. Argrath decided to lead his army along too, and as the Sun Domers couldn't afford to offend their larger neighbor  (Sartar having been freed by then) perforce, let them come along.  To cut a long story short, the PCs offed Delecti but in years to come, whose praises did the majority of bards sing? You guessed it...

>Who are the real heroes? The ones who die gloriously, or the ones who live
>to found dynasties and build kingdoms? Both have their purposes and both
>are heroic. The one can't be famous without the other.

I figured that 100 years after the campaign ended, the person who would be most praised from that time by the common man would be "Saint Lokhor", a perfectly ordinary Sage who the PCs came across from time to time. He wandered the area gathering lore on the best ways to farm, from the Sun Domer valley farmers; Sartarite tribesmen; Aldryans; Lunars; Earth cultists; spirits; and anyone else who would talk to him. He systematised the diverse lores into a science and revolutionised food production, making life easier, richer, and healthier for everyone within a couple of generations. Whilst fighters a century hence might debate the merits of Argrath vs. Lord De'Ath of Humakt, 80%+ of the population said a prayer to Lokhar every meal.

But was he a God Learner? I wonder now...

Paul Honigmann

Thugs are 10 a penny - the true warrior is one who never has to fight.