Re: Heros and Heroism

From: mg1160_at_messiah.edu
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:23:26 -0900 (PDT)

Heroism IMHO is the *individual, or a small group of voluntiers(sp?)* achieving the impossible by attempting the absurd, because there was a job that had to be done, no matter how improbable or potentially lethal, and the hero(s) were the ones on hand to make the try. Acheivement of the impossible is necessary for heroism inversely proportional to the lethality of the task.

Examples:
Rolland - Not heroic, stupid and negligent - the lives of his men were his responsibility as commander, and not to be thrown away for personal glory.

Lewis and Clark and Sakajewia(I can't remember how the guides name was spelled) - Their task while improbable, was not blatantly fatal. Had they headed off into the hinterland and never heard from again, they would have been no more than a footnote in history.

That handfull of Athenians and Spartans who held off the Persian army in a Greek mountain pass for several days - We may not remember their names, but after 2500 years or so, we still remember what they did. (Okay, they did have great defensive terrain, but they were still outnumbered by a huge margin)

                        Mark Groff

Harry Browne/Jo Jorgensen - Libertarians for President in '96

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #203