Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #200

From: Tom Zunder <Troll_at_nochet.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:06:53 GMT

I have been reading the Earthdawn rules having enjoyed a couple of novels I found remaindered.

I anjoyed the way that magical items in that game have their powers revealed to the owner slowly as they research it's history and can answer questions about it's history and past.

I suggest that we Gloranthophiles follow this example and view the use of Analyze Magic differently.

To enjoy this view one breaks down the history of a magic item into chunks,

ie who made it?
why did they make it?
deeds of import carried out with it?

etc etc

and identify the powers that will be revealed when the knowldge has been gleaned by the owner.

Analyze Magic (or any other divination) would reveal which questions need to be answered, and it is then for the character to research the knowledge, gaining the powers only as and when he knows the answers.

This would greatly increase the mystery and enjoyment of any magical treasure and also allow for endless lures and leads into adventures, on the premise that they may reveal knowledge to aid in using the item.