Alchemy

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:38:57 +1200

David Cake:

> What do people think about alchemy in Glorantha? Who uses it, how
>does it work (does it bear much resemblance to medieval alchemy?)?

All cultures that were in historical contact with the God Learners probably have access to the basics of their systematic alchemical knowlege. The EWF probably had something similar. Over time, much of this has been distorted and incorporated into the local lore. Frex, you'll have to look very hard to detect their influence in Kralori alchemy.

NB: by alchemy, I do not mean the general practice of making healing poultices and their ilk which are known worldwide.

What should be possible in glorantha by top grade alchemists (ie magus level):

Magic Crystal Manufacturing: Connected with the Machine City. Possibly requires heaps of blood.

Potion of Immortality: For those allergic to Oysters.

Universal Acid: Some allege this has been made by the God Learners and that modern glorantha is the waste left over.

Philosopher's stone: turn base metal into gold. The Roman Empire did at one time crack down on alchemy because they believed that alchemists were destabilizing the economy.

Golems, Homonucleus and Simulacra: It seems to me that the Western Sorcerers should use some elements of this in making familiars rather than the laying of hands implied in da roolz. Alternatively the transferrance of characteristics by sorcerous methods is the only acceptable method nowadays as the other methods (which cost less in terms of characteristics but more in terms of materials) could be somewhat disturbing for modern wizards to use: if they use blood for CON, what do they use for INT? POW (ie lifeforce)? (These are rhetorical questions BTW).

> The only people that I am sure use it are the dwarves. [...]
>And is human alchemy the same thing, or a different technique?

I suspect the Mostali are very weak on 'organic' alchemy (save for the vegetable^H^H^H^Harian heretics). They use expensive metals to make up for their deficient lore.