alchemy

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:40:38 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Medieval alchemy: what period do you mean?

>I am pretty sure that the alchemy/chemistry described in Georg Agricola's
>books on mining

This however is renaissance analytical chemistry. Most gloranthan prospectors would IMO use spells and divining charms because they are easier to use.

>The identification of ores through magical means
>would be possible in Glorantha, but a detect spell won't tell anything about
>the mixture of ores found (this pertains only to gods' bones ground to dust
>in battle or whatever, of course).

Well the Wizards should be able to invent a spell that would detect a specific ore IMHO. The real limitation is a seam that lies beneath the surface would be undetected by them. But the Mostali like it that way, so I don't see this as a problem.

>Looks like there could be several approaches to alchemy in Glorantha, using
>different traditions. Any ideas about the Vithelan lore of the substances?

The stuff that Dreams are made of...

David Cake:

> Alchemy

> I'm not quite sure where the 'organic' parts come from though -
>doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that Mostali or Brithini would
>mess with that much.

The 1st age Seshnegi were great magicians in their own right plus they were heavily involved with earth spirits at one point. The Serpent King Bertalor was a great alchemist, frex.

>>Philosopher's stone: turn base metal into gold.

>I'd be interested to know if there is any Gloranthan precedent for this

There are Kralori mystics who transmute metals (mentioned in the occurences sections of the Kralorela writeup in the Genertela Book)

>"Did you come to Earth for evil purposes?"
> - question asked of scientologists before becoming an Operating
>Thetan

Where I come from, we are beyond good and evil. Ia! Ia! etc.