Quaking/Shaking/Bootscooting

From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:14:36 +0800

Thanks to everyone who wrote in about the Quakers and Shakers. I didn't really expect any doctrinal similarities to be evident between these groups and the Earthshakers, though the reports of life-long vows of celibacy were interesting - re: Maran Gor's giving up of fertility to gain power over the earth. Of course the earth worshippers as a whole have a good deal of flexibility in this area so it would be easy enough for them to replenish their ranks, Maran Gor being friendly with Ernalda etc.

What I was really interested in was the physical manifestation of quaking and/or shaking as a religious experience. Perhaps the Earthshakers experience sympathy/harmony with the shaking earth, or shake to invoke such trembles in the earth. Another silly idea occurred the other day when thinking about huge deities or monsters which stomp their feet and shake the earth thereby , a la Godzilla or some such monster: maybe the Earthshakers engage in communal bootscooting linedances either seperately or in conjunction with the bodily convulsions of their compatriots :-)?

(In any case my PCs avoided the Earthshaker temple altogether, so they didn't get to witness any of the undecided ceremonial trappings... somehow the look of those heavily armed Babeester Gor guardians gave them chills all over...)

Pax

Saravan.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #215