elementals and lunar cults

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 20:56:22 +1200

Guy Hoyle:

>Do Gloranthans in general have any clear-cut notion of "the five Elements"?

They do IMO. The details will differ from culture to culture, however.

>It seems to me that most Orlanthi, for example, would not think of Sylphs as
>one of five species of "elementals"; they'd think of them as "Orlanth's
>Shieldmaids" or something like that, and think of Salamanders as "Flaming
>devils of Yelm".

Ah, this is a seperate issue IMO from whether they believe in elements. Orlanth is the King of the Storm Tribe and Ernalda is Queen of the Earth Tribe according to KoS. Merely believing in some sort of elementalism does not require the use of RQIII names.

>I DO think that societies like the Lunar Empire and the
>"more advanced" societies of the West and Kralorela would have some such
>notion; however, they do not represent the majority of Glorantha.

Umm, take away the Lunars, the Malkioni and the Kralori away from the population of Genertela and the remainder are in a minority.

Doug Sim:

>I've played Runequest now on and of for the best part of 8 years but Ive never
>been able to find a concise version of the lunar pantheon. Im told there was
>such a beast many years ago when things were still in print.

It would be spread through the prosopaedia or be found in an extremely short form in Book 5 of RQ III.

Blue Moon: Supposedly all powerful and all pervasive. Much of what

        is said about this cult turns out to be unlearned gossip.

Crimson Bat: The Steed of the Red Goddess. Sworn Enemies of the

        Lunar Empire quake at the mere mention of this Chaotic Monstrousity. It is used to keep the peace in trouble spots within the Lunar Empire.

Danfive Xaron: One of the Seven Mothers. Only criminals join his cult

        under pain of something *really* bad happening to them (ie worse than joining Danfive). Most of his temples are to be found in sprawling punishment camps in the Redlands (motto: Work Illuminates). Those who are sufficiently re-educated join the infamous Black Army which servers as the Imperial Secret Police. The Black Army also maintains several military regiments and the Black Sea Fleet.

Deezola: One of the Seven Mothers. Her worshippers are Nobles, Poets

        and healers.

Hon-eel the Artess: Goddess of Maize. She is also honoured for

        converting Tarsh to the Lunar Way, founding the Oraya Sultanate and driving of the last of the Horse Barbarians.

Hwarin Dalthippa: Goddess of the South Pelorians. She is worshipped by

        the Theyalans of the South for she conquered most of South Peloria save Tarsh (which was founded by people fleeing her conquests).

Irrippi Ontor: One of the Seven Mothers. His worshippers are the Red

        Sages who do not seek the Truth but instead master the arts of equivocation (or doublespeak).

Jakaleel the Witch: One of the Seven Mothers. Her worshippers are

        witches.

Moonson: The Emperor Cult. Although worshipped by all the countless

        thankful citizens that are fortunate enough to dwell within his Brave New World, the higher ranks are worshipped by those who pursue careers within the Lunar Civil Service (ie Officials, Satraps and Senators).

Red Moon: The Goddess herself. Lunar Philosophers claim that all the

        Other Lunars Gods are really her wearing a mask. Those who are sufficently enlightened to comprehend her teachings can draw upon the training of this cult to perform adroit magics.

Seven Mothers: A missionary cult. It is Lunar Religion-lite and is

        marketed to suspicious barbarians.

She Who Waits: An obscure cult.

Teelo Norri: One of the Seven Mothers. Her cult is in charge of the

        Poorhouses and orphanages of the Lunar Empire.

White Moon: A prophesised celestial body worshipped by spaced-out

        fools and other rabble.

Yanafal Tarnils: One of the Seven Mothers. His worshippers are officers

        of the Lunar Army and co-ordinate the myriad military units of the Lunar Empire be they Char-un Hetmen, Thunder Delta Slingers, Theyalan Peltasts, Carmanian Hazars, Dara Happan Hoplites, Antelope Lancers or Pelorian Bat-food.

Yara Anaris: Goddess of the Reaching Moon. She is worshipped by the

        Northern Pelorians to protect them against the Horse Nomads. She also maintains the Glowline.