Re: Elements / Glorantha Digest V3 #216

From: Glenn Micah Glazer <gglazer_at_ben2.ucla.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 19:03:07 PDT

>From: Guy Hoyle <guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org>
>Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 23:51:18 -0500
>Subject: Elements
>
>Do Gloranthans in general have any clear-cut notion of "the five Elements"?
>It seems to me that most Orlanthi, for example, would not think of Sylphs as
>one of five species of "elementals"; they'd think of them as "Orlanth's
>Shieldmaids" or something like that, and think of Salamanders as "Flaming
>devils of Yelm". I DO think that societies like the Lunar Empire and the
>"more advanced" societies of the West and Kralorela would have some such
>notion; however, they do not represent the majority of Glorantha.
>
>Anybody else have something to say on the subject?

A little of both, perhaps? For example, in mystical Judaism there are hierachies of supernal beings, seraphim, cherubim, archangels, etc. One may refer to Michael as the "Strength of God" _and_ also realize that he is an angel. Then again, the completely separate views may be more appropriate, finding Michael and Baalzebub as both members of a supernal class, but one is the "shieldmaiden" and the other the "flaming devil".

Best,

Glenn

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #217