HotB IV; Pelorians; Names

From: Neil Smith <NSMITH_at_dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:58:50 GMT

This is a post of many parts. I hope there is something here for everyone!

HotB IV

While attempting my character write-up, I found I'd forgotten a couple of facts. Could someone please remind me who was the Lunar official actually dealing with the Grazelanders for grain, and on what day did Tamertain attempt to light the Flame of Sartar?

Pelorians

What have the Pelorians ever done for the Lunar Empire? We know the Dara Happans, being the old aristocracy, run the show. The Carmanians guard the western Empire. What do the Pelorians contribute to the Empire? I can't see that they contribute diddly-squat (that should set the cat among the pigeons 8-)!

Names

I don't know about you, but I can never think up NPCs' names when I need to. It also seems that the very different cultural groups around Prax should all have very distinct names, a task my feeble imagination is not up to. To put these problems right, I thought I'd use a name generation program (available from ftp.funet.fi/pub/doc/games/roleplay/programs/pc/names201.zip) to produce lists of random names. Here are some results. Given names and epithets are generated seperately. Any and all comments are welcome, as are requests for the data I used.

New Pavisites. Settlers of 1550, still with "Old Country" names. Based on pre-Norman Anglo-Saxon.

    Byrhtlin Deepbreeks, Leofweard Weakcrusher, Herered Oldbeard,     Tosfrith Godifoot, Aelfric Fatbow, Guthferth Sylphbow,

    Aethelwold Paunchskin, Orstan Bluebeard, Aethelberht Bonebow,
    Diclanth Mightyhonour, Wiheof Bronzebeard, Al Slenderfang,
    Aetheltred Swarthyaxe, Ceonwold Coldaxe, Caedlanth Sleekson,
    Barnwalh Voriofskin

Lunars. Classic Roman (repreat for surname)

    Tiberius, Anni, Antoni, Orinal, Fulvius, Jovinian, Lucian,     Lucbane, Julios, Jovinizi, Julicus, Aurelian, Litorius, Annbane,     Sigilius, Nerdori, Hingleble, Procopizi, Hortensius, Ammondori,     Fulvble, Faustius

and their women:

    Salvina, Pia, Constantia, Alcaina, Antonia, Nigidina, Hortensa,
    Valeria, Liberia, Gratia, Irripina, Drusina, Anthemina, Paulia,
    Annia, Vericia, Etryilla, Severina, Silveria, Stolia, Lucina,
    Paula

Sun Domers. Following both the pre-Lunar and Spartan themes, these are Firespeech (Greek):

    Epilardia Pikehair, Pragmamai Treebow, Strephirmos Lionminded,     Kaumathos Sharptruth, Anazatoo Strongrunner, Trogastole     Yelmaliobrow, Skorpomeo Yelm-minded, Tessariazo Deersplitter,     Aperitmyreo Spiritneck, Otos Yellowson, Poniotes Swarthyneck,     Anadeiknymeo Bare-ear, Katageloida Smoothhair, Mathophe     Serpentson, Estirmon Sunskin, Exaposko Hawkson, Asthano Sunarm

Boat people: names from the Baggins family, would you believe?

    Lothgin, Olger, Bofco, Mimpy, Ilba, Galdigrim, Roly, Halibert,     Samno, Boltolph, Rudosa, Mososa, Porgo, Camta, Othibald, Bunosa,     Bilosa, Lino, Sanbo, Prisdo, Prisylla, Baldigrim, Ponba, Fincho

Oasis people: Incan is a fairly unknown language, unrelated to any others:

    Aca, Tima, Chata, Mata, Macca, Tupo, Tima, Apa, Mati, Jauhua,     Chanu, Yutu, Itu, Chara, Huchi, Uco, Chupo, Uma, Inla, Jauri,     Tichu, Ita, Picco, Huanchi, Cochi, Tuja, Chuli, Maya, Yuli, Aca,     Unu, Picchu

Agamori: showing their Pamaltelan origins:

    Matanga, Illima, Guri, Kolmena, Mitbongo, Dekanza, Mara, Lula,     Ilima, Tshihemba, Kuhemba, Dekasi, Kakuru, Ditu, Ugkanza,     Gunlia, Uemena, Arukanza, Masitanga, Debongo, Gunwezi, Guwimi

Old Pavisites: I imagine these people to have Celtic/Gaelic sounding sames, but I haven't found a list of names to start from. Can anyone help?

Praxians: following the Amerind model, these will be named "Sitting Bull," "No Rain," and the like. I'll have to produce a set of name elements for these as well.

Neil.

Neil Smith                           E-mail:   nsmith_at_dmu.ac.uk
Junior Research Fellow, Computer Sci. Tel: (01908) 695511 x4145 De Montfort University, Milton Keynes Fax: (01908) 834948  http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/depts/dcis/research/res_rep/ken.htm