Names

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 0:02:52 +0100

Neil Smith has some suggestions and queries about character names.
`

I'm about to run a one-off scenario in which the PCs are all Fronelan=20 Telmori.
I decided they all have names descriptive of some personal characteristic. Thus: Wrestles With Bears (he's very strong), Sings To=20 Spirits
(assistant shaman), Spirit Of Silence (skilled at moving quietly through th= e=20
forests).
`

Of course in a small homage to Kevin Costner it was absolutely necessary to have a Telmori who likes to dress up in clothes and pass among the farmers in the lowlands - a wolf called Dances With Humans.
`

On Neil's request for Old Pavic names, may I suggest that, the building of the city being such a major event, family names might reflect this. Thus=20 (with
vaguely Sartarite/Tarshite given names):
`

Artmal Builder, Gerreck Mason, Alfdan Stonecarver, Stanni Joiner,=20  Argrell
Strongjoint. Perhaps some of these names should sound really odd to outsiders:
Usrul Mortarmixer or Den Mostaliminder for example.
`

By the way I know Pavis had help building the structure of the city=20 (Flintnail the
Dwarf and some Giants I think? - it's been a while since any of my=20 characters
were in Pavis) but there must have been a fair amount of building of=20 structures
within the walls by human settlers as well at that time.
`

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
`