Tribal Kings & their Households

From: Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 04 Oct 96 19:20:37 EDT

Has anyone done any research into the size of a tribal kings household?

ie how many Huscarls can a king support based on the population of his tribe. I would presume that they have significantly more than the typical Clan Chief.

As a guestimate I've always figured that for every thousand people in a tribe, the King can muster approx 5 Huscarls who would be seperate from the Clan Huscarls. Also, on a tribal level, most Huscarls would be Humakti whereas on a clan level its the other way round.

Frex, the Dundealos have 10,000 people which means their King has a personal guard fo 50 Huscarls. This would be in addition to the 100+ huscarls that the clan chiefs could muster. This doesn't include any powerful Thanes or priests who would significantly boost this number of high quality warriors.

Thoughts anyone?

Martin Laurie