Dara Happa and the Latin/Roman Association

From: Anthony Bushell <Anthony.Bushell_at_anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:38:27 +1000 (EST)

Pam said
> try to avoid
>the Latin/Roman association for DH, as it carries many society and
>empire connotations which I don't think match very well. (ie, slave
>economies, worship of the emperor, classical architecture etc.)

        I thought both classical architecture and worship of the emperor WERE features of Dara Happa. I am quite sure that Greg thinks recent Dara Happan architecture has a distinctly classical bent (more on this in disgusting detail if anyone cares - just let me know).

        While the Latin features of the Lunar Empire are very obvious, I had always looked on the Dara Happans as something more akin to the Persians of the Great King and the invasions of Greece. Such an entity was a slave economy, and one can see that the Lunar Empire is not based in this. It is more the mode of attire and the great reverence that is given to the the Great King in which I see the similarity. Of course, with the Lunar Empire's general movement to assimilate other cultural groups the base culture will become difficult to see beneath the layers gathered over the decades. The features that I believe would stand out longest and most obviously are clothing and the worship of the Emperor. After all this culture is not being suppress by a conqueror, it is the conqueror.

        Just my thought on this

        Anthony