Earthly Analogues

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:14:02 +1200

Anthony Bushell:

> While the Latin features of the Lunar Empire are very obvious, I had
>always looked on the Dara Happans as something more akin to the Persians of
>the Great King and the invasions of Greece. Such an entity was a slave
>economy, and one can see that the Lunar Empire is not based in this.

I don't think Persia was a slave economy. It wasn't the only way of running military superpowers in the classical age - Rome wasn't a slave economy during the second punic war, frex. In any event, I'd always thought the major model for Dara Happa was Babylon right down to the last King Narbonidus (who favoured the Moon Goddess, Sin, over the ruling god Marduk). Of course the chief historical differences is that in Glorantha, Narbonidus/Moonson came after the Persian/Carmanian Conquest, survived the Scythian/Sheng Seleris Invasion before undergoing a renaissance under the direction of the Alexandrian Hellenistics/ Magnificiant Carmanians.

Of course, the Lunar Empire also steals from the Romans, the Phoenecians (the classical-looking statue of Emperor Kumarstyu in the Fortunate Succession is actually that of Ba'al Hammon), the Indians (Ulawaran Erotic Scupltures seen in the Entekosiad). Of course, I always think that the Narmer Palette should be used in Alkoth to depict the Glorious Emperor (Clean shaven, Low Crown of Alkoth and a Big Mace) beating up Mr Fuzzy Wuzzy Ram Person from the Wop wops of Kerofinela. All this goes to show is that exact parallels are a complete waste of time...

Jean Duprut:

>Malkion discovered Solace, so long as you follow his law you won't die.

Malkion the Lawgiver showed how people to live forever within the Laws of the Creator but I don't think this was Solace. More details are available at Nick Brooke's Web Page.