Somashi stuff

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 12:09:00 -0400

MOB:
"As Peter explained in the original post (ages back), the Somash influence comes from desperately hip laid-back Teshnos, where the clobber blokes go round in looks decidedly "girly" to the big bluff chaps of Sun Dome. And we all know that Teshnos is full of drug-addled hazia-crazed sex fiends..."

I can see that the standard cultural forms of Teshnos might be interpreted as effeminate by the Yelmalions. Also that hazia consumption might be very common there. But if these are just cultural practices and not integral parts of the Somashi religion then the Sun County prohibitions on cross-dressing and hazia won't be effective weapons against Somash. The Somashi will just switch to Sun County standard clothes and go cold-turkey on the hazia. Then they will continue to practice the religion of Somash. The regulations have to be directed at something important to the religion or they are just minor irritants not effective blocks to them.

Again I ask for a summary of the cult of Somash that makes these things integral to the cult and not just a cultural gloss that was brought with the cult but isn't part of the cult.

BTW, I'm not aware that Teshnos is full of drug-addled hazia-crazed sex fiends. I wasn't even aware that hazia was cultivated there. Given that the stuff is native to the Stinking Forest which is a boreal forest apparently (due to altitude I suppose) I'd be surprised that it was native to Teshnos which is much hotter and more humid. It is a miracle of horticulture that the stuff grows so well in Sun County. I'd be inclined to assume that if any of this stuff is true, then the Teshnans smoke some local weed and found hazia a good substitute when they got to Sun County.

Now that I've disagreed with almost everything you said, I'm glad to here that you like my anti-shaman theory for the cross-dressing prohibition. You are right, even if my origin for it is correct, it could then have been dusted off for use against the Somashi, IF any of that is true.

Big question, is there any official or semi-official material on Teshnos beyond what appeared in the Genertela pack? any planned? The area so far is a pretty big vaccuum and we could easily be massively Gregged on this.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #228