Colors and Somash

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:44:03 +1200

James Walter Frusetta:

>I'm assuming the same "physical" spectrum exists: the problem is, what
>colors are "identified." My ancient history is a little ragged, but I
>recall reading that the Greek/Roman spectrum wasn't ROYGBIV (they
>lacked Orange, I believe, but I might be wrong). Orange still "existed;"
>it just didn't have a name or identity as a color distinct from yellow &
>red.

But the Romans and Greeks would still be able to distinguish it from red and yellow. There are many languages that have only four color terms ie white, black, red and 'grue'. The last term would cover the english concepts of 'green', 'yellow' and 'blue'. However modern people who use those concepts are still able to distinguish between them. Likewise we are able to tell the difference for the myriad colors that exists in paint catalogues and require the use of names to tell _other_ people what color of paint we want. The classic work on this, I'm told, is 'Basic Color Terms' by Kay and Berlin.

This however applies to humans and the question of whether the Uz percieves most of her colors via her Darksense or via her eyes would give many people headaches. In any case, I do not think the Uz would percieve shades of black as primary colors because black is by _definition_ the absence of any light. She could distinguish between two objects that appear black to the human eye but she is doing this via her Darksense IMO.

Ian Gorlick:

>I can see that the standard cultural forms of Teshnos might be interpreted
>as effeminate by the Yelmalions. Also that hazia consumption might be very
>common there. But if these are just cultural practices and not integral
>parts of the Somashi religion then the Sun County prohibitions on
>cross-dressing and hazia won't be effective weapons against Somash. The
>Somashi will just switch to Sun County standard clothes and go cold-turkey
>on the hazia.

So funny garb and wine in communion are mere 'cultural practices' and not 'integral parts' of the medieval catholic church, say? I don't think so.

>Again I ask for a summary of the cult of Somash that makes these things
>integral to the cult and not just a cultural gloss that was brought with
>the cult but isn't part of the cult.

Where did I say that these practices are not part of the cult? I said that Hazia was used for ecstatic communion with the gods which makes it an integral part of the cult IMHO. If this doesn't satisfy you then I don't know what will.

>I wasn't even aware that hazia was cultivated [in teshnos]. Given that
>the stuff is native to the Stinking Forest which is a boreal forest
>apparently (due to altitude I suppose) I'd be surprised that it was
>native to Teshnos which is much hotter and more humid.

Hemp is native to Very Hot and Very Very Humid India so I don't see what the Botanical controversy is about.

And as for the fear of gregging about speculations of Teshnos, I suppose we should all pack up and go home?