Praxian Tales

From: David Hall <100116.2616_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Oct 96 05:04:37 EDT

Here's my (rather late) views on Michael Raaterova's query - all IMHO of course.

Horses:

I suspect this industry is a recent import from the Orlanthi and Elmali immigrants from Sartar and Lunar settlers. I think that Count Solanthos is also seeking to bring back horses to Sun County, if they haven't already been brought back by recent Elmali converts.

Leatherworking:

Again, what leatherworking existed before Dorasar's entry into Prax would have been given a large boost by the Sartarite Orlanthi immigrants. Leatherworking is a big Orlanthi cottage industry.

>Speaking of leather - Brygga Scissortongue of the Garhound family is
>guildmaster for the cloth and leather workers guild, so does Garhound have
>a large leather industry?

No more than any of the other Sartarite immigrants. The Garhound Family just happen to be the most important Sartarite family left in Pavis County (with their original settlement, not surprisingly, being named Garhound). Their major advantage over the other large Sartarite families in 1610 was their lack of any major links to Dorasar and his descendants, or any other prominent Sartarite outlaws who fled to Prax after 1602. This allowed them remain prominent, and also consolidate their position, even after the Lunar occupation.

Praxian Sun god:

I suspect it would be male and malign. People would "worship" or sacrifice to it not to get more sun, but less!

For farmers it's more likely that there would be worship of Orlanthi rain deities, or Inora, the Snow Princess. This could explain why Orlanthi farmers have been more successful in Prax than most others - they are slowly changing the ecology through their worship.

Elmal changes gender? Somehow, I doubt it.

There would have been a large number of Elmali who went East with Dorasar to the promised land. I reckon they would have been seeking to escape the internal divisions caused by the Elmal/Yelmalio schism (as orchestrated by the Lunar Empire).

>A lot of EWF orlanthi followed Pavis into Prax

Yes, but their culture would have been changed or forgotten during the various Praxian and Troll occupations, and influenced greatly by Sun County culture (the closest friendly power). I doubt very much if they would have been able to remain organised in large clans (there's certainly no evidence of this except in communities holding out in the Rubble like the Real City), and would most likely have been forced to split into smaller communities.

The greatest recent influence would be the Sartarite Orlanth, who have arrived in their thousands, and not hundreds. They will have brought an Orlanthi clan structure. Tho' I reckon that no complete clans came with Dorasar, just individuals or small family groups of refugees: adventurers, the dispossessed, those seeking a new life, those fleeing from kinstrife, etc.

It may be that the various Sartarite "families" in Pavis County are made up of groups of settlers who banded together and inter-married to form clan-like units.

Jim Chapin asks:
> After Sor-Eel is bounced as Governor of Pavis, who takes over?

A completely bald guy called Zul-Taran (from the Taran-il clan who rule First Blessed). It was an almost complete takeover and "Sor-Eel retired to the Lunar Empire among the bosum of his family to await further opportunity to further their cause."

Of course, Gimgim survives the takeover. No doubt his report on Sor-Eel's failures deserved this reward.

However, Sor-Eel will return...

Cheers,

David Hall