Orlanth Suppression

From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:53:41 +0800

To my query about the nature of the Lunar ban on Orlanth worship, Peter replied:

>The chief
>effect this will have is that magics which are normally invoked at such
>gatherings can not be cast in the New Order: ie blessings of victory in
>combat for the current year.
>
>The Orlanthi clans will then be under pressure from neighbouring
>clans who do not invoke Orlanth as their patron for they will not have
>the clan magic backing that the others do because of the prohibition of
>Orlanthi worship. The Orlanthi clans can choose to overcome their
>disadvantage by revolting (which rarely works) or by choosing some other
>god (such as the Red Moon [Colymar], Yelm [Aldachur] and Humakt [Malani])
>as their patron.

O.K. That makes sense over a period of time. It took the Carolingians a good thirty years to subdue those dang Saxons and convert them from Paganism, through more or less the same means. It ties in with another idea I had that the majority of the clan eschews open worship of Orlanth, making their public ceremonies those of, say, Ernalda and Barntar, and Elmal to defend the steads, while a small number of die hards go out in secret each Orlanth holy day to worship in the old holy places in the hills. This would be easier for those in the mountains and high places away from the main forces of the Lunar occupation.

Even given this, might the Lunars allow Orlanth worship by subservient clans whose troublesome members have already been purged? Like they do in Pavis. I can see that the Pavis situation is different, given Peter's explanation, in that the clan and tribal ties don't need to be broken there. The Orlanthi in Pavis are a much more motley bunch. But nevertheless, they DO allow worship, when they could just as easily outlaw it entirely - even more easily than in Sartar where their opponents are potentially an entire nation...

Pax

Saravan.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #234