Lodril

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:56:00 -0700

David Cake's history of the Yelorna cult sounds plausible. (Ralios to Dorastor to Jarst to Prax). And, like most cults, if it is small enough that it can escape conflict with published sources. Even more fun, if the cult is in Jarst, it could also have a small following among Pentan women.

Yelorna
I like the idea of Yelorna being a star deity who led the Galinini through the Darkness. Perhaps the Galinini were more matriarchal once the sun left? (After all, modern animal behavior field studies show that wild horse herds are actually led by a high-ranking mare.) Perhaps Ehlim's return overshadowed the Yelornans, so she led her women toward Nysalor's light in the First Age.

The Lowfires

>IMHO - the lowfires are known as Lodrils children in at least parts
of Peloria,

I would expect that the Pelorian Lodrilli have several types of fire that are considered Lodril's children - the lowfires are the only three known to other, non-Lodrilli cultures.

We know of:
Hearth Fire - the fire that Lodril gives to his wives for the Home Forge Fire - the fire which works the bones of the Gods Wild Fire - the fire that Destroys

But how about also:
Earth Fire - the First and the Strongest (lava) Soul Fire - the invisible fire that burns inside all living things - the heat that Lodril used to give all things life Sacrifice Fire - the fire that transforms the mundane into the divine Crop Fire - the helpful, fertile Fire that burns and fertilizes the fields anew)
Watch Fire - the Fire that holds back the Night

Perhaps Lodrili have many Sacred Fires, but don't single out Oakfed, Gustbran, and Mahome for special treatment. (I wonder how the Lodril/Turos cults would use the fires? Maybe there are initiates who specialize in certain paths, or these fires represent levels of initiation?)

> if the concensus is that the Lodril cult
description is all garbage (and it is certainly the most gratuitous God Learnerism known to man at the very least), I'm prepared to abandon it.

I had the impression that the Lodril cult in WW is largely a Caladraland version, though the Yelm stuff in it sounds more Pelorian. I would put that description (and the Yelm description, for that matter), in the class of all the "general" Gloranthan publications (GoG, G:tCHW, etc.) - - too general to adopt completely for specific areas of Glorantha.

Therefore, to play with Lodrilli in Dara Happa, you'd pretty much have to write up your own version of the Lodril cult, as I am, alas, discovering. I plan to take lots of stuff from the WW write up, (secret warrior sects, holiday descriptions, etc), but will also add much from GRoY and Entekosiad. I will replace the "imprisioned by Argan Argar in the Castle of Black Glass" with the "trapped by Monster Man" myth, and give the cult some underworld/demon restraining associates. And, of course, lots of fertility magics.

Keep those mudpits warm...

Pam