Re: Somash in Prax?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 96 23:33 MET DST

Ian Gorlick complained to Peter Metcalfe:

>I object to your rendition of Somash in Sun County because there is no
evidence
>to support it.

There is one source which makes an association with Somash reasonable: Greg's contribution to the RQ-Con 1 programme book, repeated in the Convulsion '94 booklet, about the Elmal problem, has a passage which describes young prince (not Prince with capital P) Tarkalor's travel to Teshnos, and his bard's vision of multiple suns. It is likely that Monrogh Lantern was a member of this party.

However, Somash is likely as stuck-up and stiff as is Praxian Yelmalio, if the reaction of Garusharp at Gio is any measure. (It does remind me of Biturian's mishap in Sun County...)

If it were Solf, or possibly even Calyz, who inspired the Praxian Sun Domer cult, there might be use of Hazia in the rituals. With Somash, the repressive attitude seems correct to me. If I look at the likely relation between Somash and Solf, then the Somashi will likely try to outlaw the cultic practices of Solf. In Teshnos, they might just not have found the time to actually do it, yet...

Since Yelmalio has no history as plow god to speak of, who takes that role in Sun County? Could this be where Solf crept in?