lunars and sonar

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:38:00 -0700

To join the many good arguments already made as to why the Lunars would not directly ban Orlanth worship in Sartar:
  1. I second Marin Laurie's point about how the Lunars have themselves experienced severe persecution under Sheng, and, if they are capable of learning anything, would have figured out by now that extreme oppression leads to extreme opposition.
  2. The Lunar Empire has already come to at least a peaceful understanding with the Orlanthi/Theyalan populations of Tarsh, Scylilla, Dara-ni, Talastar, and maybe even those on the fringes of Carmania. If they started a policy of extreme persecution of Orlanth worshippers in Sartar, they might incurr rebellion in their other provinces.

 It's much better to bring these provincial troops in and manipulate traditional barbarian infighting to do the job for you...

Uz sonar

> If this is a subsonic "ping" like sonar, wouldn't the receivers on other Uz
notice it?

Wow! Good question! I would think they would. The range of frequencies trolls can hear is probably great. I can't imagine the outgoing "ping" changing so much in frequency just because it bounced that it suddenly becomes audible.
(Of course we're assuming that sound in Glorantha is made by compression waves....) Heck - maybe Darkness itself is a source of energy, and has its own waves, just like light? If the darkness itself were providing the waves to reflect off objects, thenDarksense would be passive. (But also available to other races who were attuned to Darkness.)

>This might be a good reason why Uzko have kept (and even refined on) Uzuz
eyes; it can be _dangerous_ to sense/scan other trolls.

This is a great deduction! It explains why trollkin have great big eyes, but Big Uz have little bitty ones. (Eyes are often vulnerable in fights, and a source of heat loss. Why have big ones if you can use another sense?)

Troll art:
> it was the combination of textures on the surface of the object, various
hollowed out portions, and the
introduction of denser materials inside that gave a remarkably pleasing effect for Darksense.

Nice image!

Pam