solar burials

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:47:00 -0700

 Anthony Bushell wonders about burial methods of the Gloranthan solar cults.

According to GRoY, the Dara Happans burn their solar cultists, and they have historical competitions to see who can make as little smoke as possible:-)

The Shargashi Dara Happans place their dead w/ accompanying grave goods in a special Enclosure temple, and then during sacred time they torch the whole lot. (See GRoY for more details.)

GRoY also mentioned the practices of the Hyalorings. They placed their dead on tall biers, and let the sun and wind carry them off. I think the Grazers still do this. Some Pentans may as well.

I'm not sure about the Sun Domers. They may have a general wood shortage, and may bury their dead. But they always seemed to have a pretty strong earth connection as well.

I would think that burying the dead is not a very Solar concept, as the best way to get to the Halls of Bright Dead is to accompany the Allfather himself when he sets at night. Trotting down through all the layers of underworld would be too horrible to contemplate.

> Rivere of Cradles tells us that the Orlanthi of Sartar use sky
burials and cremation to bring their people closer to the wind and storm,

We play that the Orlanthi strive to make a lot of smoke on a burial fire, because it's the smoke that is bourne on the winds to Orlanth.

Pam