Assault on Dragon Pass 13

From: Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 18 Oct 96 18:32:09 EDT

Me
>The sad fact is that without the whole Dragon incident and even without the
>Reaching Moon Temple, Lunar (or more acurately - Tarsh) power would have been
>enforced on Sartar and eventually on the Grazelands.

Danny Bourne
>Says who? It wasn't until the 1860s/70s that the US managed to 'tame' the
>native Indians and get them all on reservations and, according to Angie
>Debo, the premier reason why Indians became 'settled' is because they
>wanted to. They were sick of war and wanted to become farmers.

Absolutely but the Grazelanders are not indians nor do they have the advantage of massive ammounts of sparsely populated land to flee to or a wilderness to raid from. They are also very much tied to their Vendref in a way that plains Indians were not. They even have three settled towns from which they gain much of their revenue via trade. If those were occupied and the Vendref were turned against them, the Grazers would be significantly weakened and their warriors are few and much harder to repace than those of the Empire or even Sartar.

Me:
> The sad fact is that without the whole Dragon incident and even without the
> Reaching Moon Temple, Lunar (or more acurately - Tarsh) power would have been
> enforced on Sartar and eventually on the Grazelands. Given a generation more
> to solidify their control Esrolia and Heortland would have been absorbed too.

Nick Brooke:
>I agree: it's always sad to consider the might-have-beens...

Not so. Imagine if the 1812 Battle of New Orleans had been a British victory, New Orleans would be called "Walborough on the Sea" and we'd be able to get a decent cup of tea in the Southern states instead of that iced gunk.

You see? Might-have-beens are a significant addition to the history debate......

As for your comments on Caliphite tax troubles when the infidel tax base dissapeared, this would also happen in Sartar, agreed, but its a damn good way of converting people over the long haul.

Martin Laurie