Occupied Sartar

From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:45:11 +0800

A little orderless since High Priestess Nick's last two efforts to reassure us loyal Orlanthi that "The Lunar Government is Our Friend!":

You're right, my use of the Carolingian/Saxon analogy was rather strained - I have a tendency to get worked up about conquests and religious conversions. I'd just like to state publicly that I do not believe that the Lunar occupation of Sartar bears any substantial religious resemblance to the conquest of Saxony by Charles 'the Great' and friends (for all sorts of reasons)! But... I was making the comparison in terms of the _theory_ that the Lunars were actually trying to wipe out the whole position of Orlanthi worship amongst the Sartarite tribes. That _is_ what the Carolingians were trying to do (towards the pagans, not the Orlanthi :-) ), and it took them a hellishly long time to do it. That was my real point of comparison. As I stated earlier, IMO the Lunars probably don't have the resources to pursue an policy of ethnic cleansing/ genocide in Sartar. Which, of course, does not necessarily mean they would not like to!

As for sources in print outlining the ban on Orlanth worship. Well, now that you mention it, I can't think of any definitive material, except one miniscule quip which is the Riskland Broadside promising that Riskland will be (the only place where) Orlanth worship shall not be abridged. But then, my memory is notoriously shoddy. Oh yeah, wait on... In the River of Cradles description of the Pavic Orlanthi Farmers and Town-Dwellers, I got my first impression that Orlanth worship was actually _banned_: "Since the veneration of Orlanth is outlawed within the Lunar Empire's borders, most Pavic Orlanthi have adopted the public worship of Ernalda while privately continuing to honor Orlanth as an associated cult. At present the Empire tolerates this transparent imposture, but many fear that when Whitewall falls and Orlanth is officially declared dead throughout the Empire more energetic persecution of Orlanth worship may follow." (p24) My difficulty with this came particularly as I began to play through an Orlanthi campaign and realised that the meaningful ceremonies are all public - so how could the Orlanth ceremonies remain powerful if they were forced to divide and go underground (so to speak)?

I call upon all Orlanthi sympathisers, and even truth-seeking Reds to rise up and contribute any additional material they may find about this fact of repression. It is hushed up within the Empire, so that they may continue their two faced doublespeak and hypocrisy, convincing their own deluded citizens that worship is free when in fact they are repressing people across the breadth of their domain.

Of course we would all like to think that the Lunar policy is as pleasant and benevolent as Nick paints it. But these are the views of the Heartlands priestesses many of whom have never even seen our glorious (but temporarily subdued) Sartar. Benevolent Fazzur may have had a remarkably lenient mindset in drawing up Redbird's treaty, but I don't think this is the general feeling among the Lunar forces of occupation. Looking back over this treaty, I _am_ surprised at how lenient it sounds, especially in comparison to what would be the case if they were pursuing a "convert or die" policy.

As for the benificent taxes... Yeah, _right_. This same lenient treaty imposes a yearly tribute of half a cow per citizen. It doesn't say how this is to be paid, which means:

  1. the Lunar tax collectors force it out any which way they can at the stead level - and probably take some more for themselves while they're at it
  2. the clan chiefs collect the tribute from their people peacefully, contributing any extra which are necessary, and then hand them over to the tax collectors
  3. the lunars make the kings and chiefs pay which means they will extort the tribute from their people while keeping their own herds and farms intact.
  4. the local Seven Mothers temple collects it on holy day from the voluntary, well meaning and newly liberated members of the community who, of course see the need for public taxes to help their poor misfortunate brethren

Only D could actually meet the intentions of the high priestesses to redistribute wealth, and we all know how likely this one is to come about.

I'm inclined to accept a combination of all of them varying according to the local circumstances. My Vale Treader clan chieftain in the Sambari Pass collects taxes after the harvest and hands them over to the tax collector who comes by at the end of Earth Season. The chief, being a good soul helps out the poorer members of the clan with contributions from his own herd. We don't have no Seven Mothers temple around here. Good thing too... One of my PCs was horrified when a Lunar orphanage was set up nearby. "What?" she said, "People without kin? Surely this cannot be!" And my good chieftain was a little put out that his traditional responsibility for taking care of his more misfortunate clanspeople had been usurped by a Lunar interloper.

Problem with these Lunars see, is that they're determined to reform the world in their own image. All those big, ugly, dirty, cities with ruffian street kids... They think we good hill folk have such problems too! Bah!

Overall, though, that tax sounds extremely harsh just in itself. And that is on top of any other 'normal' taxes the Lunars may want to impose. Just think, the Sambari alone (if they were subject to this tax) would have to hand over around four thousand cows per year! I'm inclined to think that that particular clause is a miscalculation. Or else the tribes simply don't pay it all, a common occurence historically where 'tribute' and 'reparations' are concerned.

Pax

Saravan.