DP unit sizes, smaller game

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 96 15:15 MET DST

Danny Bourne
>>>Does anybody out there know the troop numbers of regiments within the lunar
>>>army and also the size of 'field armies' that the Orlanthi barbarians can
>>>muster?

The generally accepted number is a "nominal 1000" (i.e. 700 to 1200) per DP/WBRM infantry counter, and "nominal 500" for cavalry units. The article in Wyrm's Footnotes 7 on the Eaglebrowns corroborates this, at least for good quality cavalry.

>The reason I asked it because I'm looking
>to do a tactical scale board wargame that's on a smaller scale than DP so
>you can effectively manage about a 10,000 man army.

That has already been done with WBRM rules in "The Battle of Dunstop Castle", by Tadashi Ehara in Wyrm's Footnotes 3, where the DP counters were used to represent smaller units, and on a tactical rather than strategic map. For convenience, just divide trooper number by 10 or so.