Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #236: darksense

From: Paul Stolar <pstolar_at_mail.xetel.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 96 14:38:51 CDT

     James Walter writes:
===

Colors, Textures, Densities & Darksense

===

Trolls that go "ping":

Something I've argued with other GMs (uh, usually while playing an Uz PC) is whether or not Darksense is "noticed" by other Uz. If this is a subsonic "ping" like sonar, wouldn't the receivers on other Uz notice it? This might be a good reason why Uzko have kept (and even refined on) Uzuz eyes; it can be _dangerous_ to sense/scan other trolls. Ogling the local Kyger Litor priestess with your eyes is safer than darksense, which she's better able to detect. IMO, darkscan would be more obvious to other Uz than darksense... darksense is a little more "passive" and doesn't involve as much active use of emissions. (For some trollkin, eyes become a survival feature: although your trollish masters will give you a boot to the head for being "uppity" and "looking" at them with darksense, you can visually look at them with impunity. Some values might even develop the ability to detect other colors...)

To be fair, the arguement I've heard against it is that the initial "ping" is at a different pitch, and that until it "reflects" Uz don't pick it up.

Any thoughts?

=

I write:

I play that they can hear other trolls pinging, but since they are at a different frequeency, it does not interfere with their darksense. Normal trolls can turn theirs off and on, like closing your eyes, but have little control beyond that. Uzuz can control their frequency. Enlo cannot even turn theirs off and on, other than when asleep. This makes it difficult to use them to sneak up on other Uz.

I also play that the Uz recognize each other by the sound of their ping. It seems better than using sight for a sound based society.