Ping!

From: Paul Honigmann <furfur_at_furfur.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:35:55 +0100

Michael Morrison:

>...I imagine uzuz as
>being able to assimilate all darksense emissions at the same time,
>without training -- this is one reason uzuz are so fearsome; they can
>"see" from all directions at once if there are other trolls about!

>My 2p. Other theories? Flames?

Recent experiments with 'passive' sonar sensors show even human built sensors can use *ambient* sound to build up a picture of the environs. The researchers were amused to find that a loud noise like a ship going by actually *improved* their sensor array's resolution instead of interfering. They figure this explains why dolphins have been observed to occasionally alter course to intercept shoals of fish, etc even without emitting sonar pulses (which would presumably alert their prey)...

Mind you, I guess the dolphins might just have been using their eyes! Paul Honigmann
'Facts? Why take the fun out of life?'