New Kingdom Teshnos

From: Anthony Bushell <Anthony.Bushell_at_anu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:11:20 +1000 (EST)

        I am still working on the details of a campaign set in the Teshnos region and I have been looking at a number of things as inspiration for the culture of the people of Teshnos. I appreciate and am very fond of the Indian feel that the kingdom has, but I would like to try out a few ideas on people and see what you think:

  1. The solar cults so prevalent in Teshnos were introduced by Sheng Seleris when he invaded the region. I believe that there is a strong parallel between these cults tand those of the Egyptians. The Egyptians maintained a set of Sun gods (Ra, Amun, Horus, Osiris, Aten) which served different functions and were primary as different groups controlled the government.
  2. The current culture is a development out of a reaction to Sheng's conquest (how extensive that was is a matter for contention) and I see that it might be similar to the development of the New Kingdom in Egypt after the Hyksos invasion. This invasion had introduced many elements that we now view as thoroughly Egyptian (the chariot, the kopesh, the composite bow).
  3. The Hyksos did not destroy and rebuild the Egyptian culture rather they infiltrated their ideas and beliefs into it. I think that this is the case with Teshnos. The Pentans carried conquest into the kingdom and probably supplanted the rulers, introducing their own gods along with them. They did not change a social system that they did not understand and that seemed to work well with them at the top.
  4. After they were gone the Teshnans maintained the cults that had been introduced because they gave greater power and prestige to the nobility. This may have been accompanied by a period of expansion which was curtailed by the Lethargy that enveloped the land. As a result many cities that had been founded to the east were abandoned and eventually reclaimed by the forest.

        Basically what I am considering in a caste based culture which has a more Egyptian style religious structure than a Vedic one. This allows for some tension between the cults and allows for the many different varieties of Solar worship that are prevalent in Teshnos.

        Lastly, a question. Can anybody give me some information on the place of a Yelmalio style cult in Teshnos. I currently see it as a subcult of the Somash cult.

        Anthony
        PS; I would like to appologise if this has been received twice, but
we are having difficulties with our server coonections.