Elmal

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:16:41 +0100

Nick Brooke:

>David Hall tells a story of Elmal/Yelmalio where Elmal "wins" at the Hill of
>Gold because he's been armed by Orlanth, can fight off Zorak Zoran, "thaws" the
>frigid Inora, and so brings back the Spring at the successful conclusion of the
>Lightbringers Quest.

 Alas, this was my original conception for the cult of Elmal, and I came to the same reasoning that you did that Yelmalio lost his fire powers to ZZ because of lack of support. However, I was Gregged. Deciding to side my vote with the "official" version of Elmal, wherein Elmal has no fire powers, this story unfortunately is of no use to me :( Thanks for trying to help anyway.  The same goes for what Michael Raaterova said.

Pete Metcalfe:

>Ah. This is going into South Pelorian History. The only source was
>a reply given at the RQ CON Down Under lore auction and even then we
>do not know for sure if the hills of gold are involved. IMO they did.
>I also think that Orlanth was not involved in the Elmal's version of
>the Hill of Gold but Shargash.

 Actually, until recently, I thouhgt that the fight described in KoS p.195 equates to the Hill of Gold, although rather than being a hill it's a bridge. This makes lots more sense, although why ZZ would appear to attack Elmal alongside Shargash is beyond me... I think this is all coming together :)

Nick E.

Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.u-net.com/~eff/
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.