Shargash & the Hill of Gold

From: Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 24 Oct 96 19:55:10 EDT

Nick E's story was great but I cannot agree that Shargash was defeated by Elmal.

Shargash is the most dangerous of all the Solar Gods, he's the most warlike and most potent in battle. He is fated to destroy the world and rebuild it. The likes of Elmal wouldn't last ten seconds against him.

In GRoY the Alkothi section clearly gives Shargash the honour of defeating Elemalus. If there is a mythic parallel between Shargash and Zorak Zoran this is because of the similarity in method, if not motivation, of the two deities.

I don't think the two deities were at the Hill of Gold. I think the perception of who was actually there changes the futher North you go. In Dragon Pass it was the Dark Enemy of Zorak Zoran, in Saird it would be deadly Shargash, the Destroyer. The basic fact is the Elmal/Yelmalio was knobbled by a big nasty guy with a mace, where you are is what determines the name of the mace wielding thug.

The whole anti-mace thing with Sun cults probably stems from this, maces being wielded by the great enemy who crippled their god.

Martin Laurie