How Elmal Joined the Storm Tribe

From: Paul Heinz <pheinz_at_direct.ca>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:07:23 1997

Paul Heinz here.

Here's the myth fragment Pam Carlson was talking about from my myth of How Elmal Joined the Storm Tribe.

HOW ELMAL JOINED THE STORM TRIBE Orlanth met Elmal guarding the Emperor's treasures (which he was meanly withhelding from the people for their lack of perfection - an unjust act). Elmal was loyally guarding them even though he too felt it unjust. Elmal also had asked the Emperor for permission to seek a wife and had been denied for not always smiling in the presence of the the Emperor (this was unknown to Orlanth).

Orlanth met this staunch defender (who was obviously sorely wounded) and challenged him to let him past. Elmal stated he would defend the way even though he would likely fall before Orlanth. He also said it was an unjust master that he served and asked that Orlanth tell of his defeat fairly without dishonouring him.

Orlanth was struck by the valour and honour of his foe and asked why one so honourable served such an unjust master. Elmal stated that he was bound to serve the Emperor as the Emperor was his father and thus more perfect and fit to rule than he.

Orlanth decried this and said that a youger son may be better than his father or brothers and that he felt Elmal was more noble and fit to rule the fiery halls than the Emperor and Orlanth would be proud to have kin of such stuff as Elmal was made of.

Orlanth also said he would accept Elmal's judgement if Elmal felt he should not pass even though Orlanth's people were in need of what Elmal guarded. And further Orlanth offered to arm Elmal so that his task would be easier.

Now, in turn, Elmal was struck by the honour and valour of his foe and said that he would rather serve such a just and noble master and would be proud to have kin of such stuff as Orlanth was made of.

Orlanth said this could be so and offered Elmal the chance to seek a wife amongst the Storm tribe and a place in his stead if Elmal so chose.

Elmal said he would accept this gift but only if Orlanth swore an oath that he would seek another path to the Emperor's treasures.

Orlanth suprised Elmal by laughing and agreeing to this oath.

And so it was that Elmal joined the Storm tribe and this is how Orlanth gained the Emperor's greatest treasure.

It's not in the shape I want it to be yet but the core structure and myth elements are there. I plan to work on this myth some more but I've presently been sidetracked into exploring a possible view of Sairdite (or Southern Pelorian at least) mythology with my myths of Helmal & Herlat, the Earthborn Man-Twins. More on that later.

I've since talked a lot with Pam, Joerg, David, and Jeff about the themes I'm trying to capture with this myth and what it tells us (Pam and I that is) about how the Elmali live amidst the rest of the Orlanthi.

I'll sit down and figure out a summary to post here on the digest although Pam might beat me to it! I'd be very interested on other digest readers opinions on this myth and how the Elmali and Orlanthi relate.

TTFN,
  Paul.

Paul Heinz
Scalable Development Inc., Victoria, B.C. Profax International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand E-mail: pheinz_at_direct.ca
#include <disclaimer.h>