Simony

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:13:32 GMT

Simony is the sin (under Christian canon law) of buying or selling any of the offices or other holy things of the Church. Bribing someone to make you Pope at one end of the scale or purchasing holy water or other sacred materials at the other.

It is named after Simon Magus, a wizard who was so impressed by the miracles the disciples were pulling that he offered cash to be taught the secrets of their power. The story is in the Acts of the Apostles.

The legend that Simon later died trying to fly is not in the Bible but is from apocryphal sources. All the biblical account says is that he was 'abashed' when the Apostles reproved him. I've worked him into a fantasy novel I'm writing as the founder of the Church's secret order of wizards. The order feel it is rather neat to have a founding saint who has a sin named after him!

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.