Historical quibble

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 19:42:41 -0500 (EST)

Martin Laurie wrote, in response to Nick Brooke:
">I agree: it's always sad to consider the might-have-beens...

Not so. Imagine if the 1812 Battle of New Orleans had been a British victory, New Orleans would be called "Walborough on the Sea" and we'd be able to get a decent cup of tea in the Southern states instead of that iced gunk.

You see? Might-have-beens are a significant addition to the history debate......
"

Only problem is that the batle of N.O. was fought in 1815 AFTER the peace had been signed, so Martin's future was not a possibility. On the other hand, had the British won, we Americans might have been spared the Presidency of the military blow-hard Andrew Jackson, and Americans might have noticed that they LOST the War of 1812, instead of Republican politicians getting away with claiming victory!

Jim Chapin

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #254