various topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 16:28:00 +1200

Steve Coltman:

> Are there any Mermen in the Safelster sea.

No. There may have been some historically but they would have been exterminated in Arkat's war.

> How many of the Ralian Telmori are "Pure Ones" as
>discussed in the dorastor supplement.

Very few I imagine. No outsider distinguishes between them IMO and so since the Werewolfs have a survival advantage, the number of Pure ones remains small. IMO 10% is 'pure'.

James Walter Frusetta:

>I'm struggling at attempting to find information on the Machine City &
>Zistor; there's references in the RQIII Glorantha box (sorry, never can
>remember it's proper name), King of Sartar and TrollPak.

Have you a copy of Different Worlds #24 (Dwarf Special)? Particular mention is made there about the sins of the Machine City, notably their BrandX swords with bladesharp 3 in the hilt.

>Who participatted in the overthrow of Zistor's mortal minions? On the
>Mythic plane, it seems clear enough (Orlanth the Interventionist and his
>minions). But for the mortals in the battle, all I've seen are brief
>references to Trollish armies (TrollPak), Elves (TrollPak) and Shadowland
>women (KoS). Dwarves seem a logical addition as well (considering that
>Zistor infringed on the copyright for Mostal). Any thoughts on whether or
>not Orlanthi barbarians and Yelmists were participating in the fray?

If Orlanth particpated in the battle, then it is pretty safe to assume that the Orlanthi were heavily involved in the battle. Who do you think summoned him against Zistor?

The DW Dwarf special notes that the Dwarfs were involved although their presense was not noted until late in the war. Their traps infest much of the machine city.

If by the Yelmists, you mean the Dara Happans then they were not involved. They were still fighting the EWF and had only recently liberated Raibanth from the EWF.

However the Dragonewts and EWF look as though they might have been involved. The Dragonewts are one of the main elder races and the writings all mention that it looked as though the Unity of the Elder Races might be restored. We know that the EWF had access to inhuman troops such as the Dwarves of Greatway, the Uz of the Shadowlands and Dargori Inkarth and the Elves of Stinking Forest. Furthermore the Machine City is just south of the EWF Heartlands and I find it hard to believe that they weren't involved in the conflict. The absence of such mention of the EWF in the myths could merely mean that the descendants purged such mention when the EWF was overthrown.

>Or Waertagi?

The Waertagi didn't return until shortly before the Closing which is still 30 odd years in the future. Even then they were fleeing the Closing.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #261