Calendars

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 15:39:13 +0000

Peter M.

        Coming back at my brief idea WRT Kralorelian calendar being writen pre Sun-Stop (not pre-Dawn).

Good points WRT to other calendars with different number of Seasons.

BUT the Dara Happans will always chose 10, given a choice. (I'm no expert on Pamaltela so no comment there).

Of course there are the same number of days in the year. Only the Christians were foolish enough to have a calendar that was totally out of sync. with reality! Really it depends on how literally one takes the phrase "The Days are Shorter". If one takes it literally then only cultures with a number of accurate time measuring devices will notice it. They need a number to be sure that it is not a change in "gravity" affecting the period of a pendulum, or the rate at which sand falls in a glass etc. My take is that what the western cultures noticed was that they had to renew sorcery spells at a different rate (but was this due to a change in the way magic worked?).

Anyway, just some ideas to add to the confusion.

Cheers

        Lewis