Testy time musings

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 11:03:25 +1200

I'm sorry if I'm somewhat sharp here, but I think the joke is wearing thin...

Chris Lemens:

>My impression is that KoS is written in the voice of someone in Time not
>pre-Time. Hence, it would necessarily be colored by a post-Dawn
>understanding of the world that includes Time.

So's the God Leanrer Metaphysics. So whatever falws you point out in KoS worldview, the simple fact is that the same flaw applies to the God Learner theories. Given that all the cultures in the world say one thing and the God Learners say another, then I shall side with the majority.

>To answer Peter's question about how long different cultures would say that
>a rotation of the sky takes: It doesn't take Time because Time does not
>exist. [...] This is making my brain hurt.

A sure sign that this sort of crap is not necessary.

Daniel McCluskey:

>and as an aside -- I really don't think that the Orlanthi retelling of
>godtime events is the most reliable source from wich to draw the
>conclusion that there were regular days and nights.

Well, did you not see where I gave support from the myths of _other_ cultures (ie Dara Happans, Pelandrans, Brithini, Kralori)?

Philip Hibbs:

Me>> in The Orlanthi Sword
>>Story, Grandfather Mortal and Humakt are clearly ignorant of nature
>>of the Sword. Yet Grandfather Mortal still gets killed. Hence
>>cause and effect existed before Time.

>The point remains, a Power was used.

What the hell is the difference between using a power then and using a power now then? You don't require any change in Time. Which was my point.

Danny Bourne:

>A Gloranthan native
>isn't going to say well all these events happened at the same time, but
>were related to cause and effect because pre-time is 3D and we're now
>living in a 4D world.

Do we really need this sort of crap here?

Nick Effingham:

>I'm saying that the Orlanthi version of
>Godtime IGNORES time, completeley. Utterly.

Wrong. What were those KoS fragments that I just quoted at you?

Lewis Jardine:

>Of course there are the same number of days in the year. Only the
>Christians were foolish enough to have a calendar that was totally
>out of sync. with reality!

What the hell has Christians got to do with the price of fish? And look up Sothic Risings and Pre-Julian Roman Calenders before you think further on this topic.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #268