Sands of Time in my shoes

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 18:51:43 +1200

Phil Hibbs:

Me>>What the hell is the difference between using a power then and using
>>a power now then? You don't require any change in Time. Which was
>>my point.

>The difference is: "now", you don't *need* a power; "then", you did.

But any act you can do 'now' can be *said* to be using a power. If I kill someone, I have invoked death. If I make love to someone, I have invoked the fertility power. If I have made a prophecy about a holy war that will engulf Dragon Pass in the near future, then I have invoked the fate rune. And so on. So your statement does not tell us *anything*.

So I repeat. What can I do *now* that I couldn't do *then*? And why does this require the _complete_ absense of time? Why couldn't it merely be a change in the nature of the Otherworld? What do you *mean* by invoking a power since by _your_ response to the sword story, the person does not have to necessarily know that he is invoking the power?