Time

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 20:10:05 +0000

First, apologies to the Digest for my double post. Secondly, people seem to be ignoring my statement that these are not my own, personal, set-in-stone POV but what I would consider a rational set of ideas from the Gloranthan cultures.

Chirs Lemens:

>Nick: "It was not that they did not notice the *advent* of time, it was
>always
>there. They just plainly didn't care."
>
>1. Doesn't this contradict your agreement with me that Time did not exist,
>or was that agreement that, given the non-existence of Time, my explanation
>worked, or was that just some Thed-worshipping, chaos-ridden,
>disease-spreading, Broo-loving anarchic outburst?

 Nah, I was just putting forward a theory about if there really was time before time. I don't honsestly give a damn, but feel that my own ideas are pertinent to the subject in hand. Plus, I enjoy confusing people (I have horns and a bad skin problem known as fur, whadya expect?)

>2. Why would one not care about time? Is there a generalizable class of
>people that would not care? E.g. immortals living where Yelm don't shine?

Why care about time? Day in day out, the same thing, looking after your god, worshipping your god, think of Provaria from the Entekosiad (which I've only just started to read BTW -- and Pam was right, it is pretty good). People who would not care are people without gods. Frex, the gods themselves might care about time, some of them would. Remember, in the beginning nothing had changed, ever. So the first time something changes it was probabley the biggest shock of all. Before then people didn't realize time existed because nothing had ever changed before. Wow! Did you understand that?

[on CA being in two places at once]

> If you like the asymmetric 4D physics explanation, she simply moved in
>three dimensions (space), while standing still in the fourth (which I guess
>is called "not-yet-Time").

 Well, know I don't particulary like the 4D explanation. I think the best explanation is "because she was involved in both myths" and leave it at that. The reason CA was in two places at once was because she had to be. I'll leave it to the Lunar faction on the Digest to expand this seemingly odd statement.

Pete M.:

>>I'm saying that the Orlanthi version of
>>Godtime IGNORES time, completeley. Utterly.
>
>Wrong. What were those KoS fragments that I just quoted at you?

 The fragments were all written by someone with a perspective of Time. Therefore they imposed words like day, night, at one time, etc.... to make it easier to understand. The Orlanthi myths are able to survive without time being mentioned at all. Therefore odd things such as Vinga rescuing Elmal at the HoG after becoming a warrior madien, even though Orlanth had not left his stead to go on the LBQ and therefore, since Vinga only became a member of his Ring after he left it could not occur. QED. And, yes, I realize that the example has numerous inconsistencies depending upon which Vingan/Elmali myths you adhere to.

Mr. Happy:

>The God Plane is the place where myths happen. So time works just like in
>myths: inconsistently if at all.
>
>Apparent order is in the eye of the beholder not in the myth.

Exactly. At least someone has managed to understand what the Orlanthi believe.

Stephen Watson:

>How about stats for the Gift Carriers?

 Each to their own. If a PC ever learned the GL secret (Arkat knows how!!) then you'd need stats for the Gift Carriers. The alternative is telling your player his character died without any chance of survival. Remember, rules and stats are there to help roleplaying, running away from them (or overusing them) isn't a good idea, IMVVHO.

Lewis:

> Disagree with other posters by all means, but lets make sure
>that the list does not degenerate into a flame war.

Here here!!

Nick E. (who must go as he has a black goat to sacrifice to)

Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.