Divine free will

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:15:29 +0800

>I don't
>subscribe to the belief that the gods have absolutely no free will. If this
>was the case they're nothing better than stooges for their priesthoods.
  1. there seems to be a reasonable amount of evidence that they aren't much more than stooges for their priesthoods. When their priests do outrageous, heinous things, it is generally the actions of other worshippers not the god directly that strike them down. Take Lokaymadon, for an example. He performs heinous acts, which the Orlanthi has since recognised as terribly evil. But he went down because of Harmast, not because Orlanth stuck him down. And sure, Harmast was following an Orlanthi path, and got aid from Orlanth, and invoked Orlanthi magics. But Lokaymadon used Orlanthi magics as well.
  2. its not a simple case of priests in charge or god in charge. The Gods lack free will not because someone else gets to boss them around. The gods lack free will because they have to keep doing the same thing as they always did. Orlanth lacking free will does not mean his priesthood can boss him around (obviously, his priesthood can get him to do things they want him too most of the time, but they think of it as entreating and pleading and prayer). What it means is that Orlanth acts, but can no longer choose to act differently. Orlanth has his heroquest paths and myths, and he has to follow them. Orlanth MUST hate chaos, protect the earth, cause great violent winds, boss Storm Bull around, rebel against the Emperor, etc. He no longer has any choice. But the GodTime Orlanth did have a choice, and by heroquesting you can contact or be part of that Godtime Orlanth, who still has the power to change the status quo. I think the only way to change a gods actions is to heroquest to change his paths and spread the new myths. THis is easier said then done, but can be done (Monrogh, for example). But I think the Compromise does not bind the gods to inaction - it binds them to set courses of action.

        And to put it in Lunar terms: the gods are masks, empty forms carrying out their parts in the play. They can but perform their parts. But there are gods behind the masks, and by Travel and Journey we can glimpse them, and know the true realities, and transform ourselves and the world.

        David

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #273