Telmori madness (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:30:38 -0500 (EST)

Forwarded message:
From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk

Peter Metcalfe says of the Telmori:
>They do not go raving mad once a week, they turn into magical wolves.
>Wolves are still pretty smart despite being bestial. And although
I have to question this. I don't have the sources in front of me but I'm pretty sure the phrase ravening beasts (or something like it) is used somewhere in the Dorastor LoD description description of the Telmori. ...
My interpretation of this has always been that, on Wildday, the Cursed Ones become not just beasts but wild, savage beasts driven to acts of violence and slaughter like the traditional werewolf of legend. _This_ is what results from Arkat's revelation of the chaos at the heart of Gbaji/ Nysalor's gift.
I would have the Cursed Ones and their wolf-brothers (remembering that all Telmori are Telmori whether they have two legs or four) spreading out from their pack ranges each wildday to chase, slaughter,  and glory in the hot blood of the prey - be it the deer in the forest, the beast in the field or the wandering maiden who has ignored the warnings of her elders.
Individuals or packs may glory in this or regard it as regretable but either way it explains the fear and hatred of the Telmori which is at the root of their persecution by their neighbours. This explanation is, to me at least, far more convincing than any connection with a dead god whose link to chaos is the subject of abstruse theological debate.

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk