Gods and consiousness

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:52:51 +0000

While this might be all too philosophical for me to compete in, I'll try and explain what I think about the gods.

 "I think, therefore I am" as the old adage goes -- I, Nick E., am consious (much to the distaste of certain people on the digest, I'm sure :) ). I am, however, heavily influenced by those around me. Do I talk or act the same around my girlfriend than I do my parents, or my pub mates, or my closest friends who know my deepest secrets? No, obviously not, I don't swear and talk about football in front of my family over Christmas dinner, but I don't talk about my poor old aunt while at the pub.  I even think differently depending upon who I'm with. Certain people bring out certain aspects within me. I am not truly an individual, whenever I come in contact with someone else my own personality is diluted so that I fit into the atmosphere around me. I have no true choice in that. Do I lack Free Will?

 I'd hope the answer is no. I'd hope that people believe that no matter how constrained I am by society around me, I can make my own choices.

 So, when worshippers contact Tolat, are they merely bringing out certain elements in an unamed god? What I'm trying to say is that while the priests DO impose their visions upon the god, the god in turn imposes his visions and ideals upon his priests, and somewhere in between a cult is formed. And this cult evolves by an ever changing set of ideology enforced on both priesthood and god.

All IMHO,

Nick E.
Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #277