timely musings

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:26:32 +1200

Daniel McCluskey:

The differnece between Godtime and Now.

>The vital difference is in the Effect, not in the events. In godtime,
>when Humakt killed Grandfather Mortal - people started dying and KEPT ON
>dying. When Orlanth Killed Yelm, It was Dark (up here) FOREVER (untill
>LBQ -- another action). Now, when Actions occur, the effects erode OVER
>TIME. Then effects were Permanent. Events are the same, but the
>Effects are different. It is this Change in Effects that is IMO the
>huge and important difference created by the compromise.

You have not disproven that effect erosion did not occur then. A simple example makes me think otherwise. People became hungry in the Old Days and ate to fill their bellies. The time taken for things to mature is another example (ie Erosion of Youth).

Nick Brooke:

DC>> Entekosiad is set within 'Godtime', and it certainly doesn't read
>>like time does not exist and all actions were taken simultaneously.

>Can you help me with a bit of relative (pre)chronology, then?

> * King Oronin's invasion created Lake Oronin and the Oronin River
> * Daxdarius founded the Pelandan Empire around these landmarks
> * Daxdarius is credited with driving away the Blue People
> * Bisos is also credited with driving away the Blue People
> * and maybe Lendarsh is too (I cannot recollect just now!)

>Were there two episodes of the Evil Blue Folk Dominating Pelanda (mind
>you, the Entekosiad lists plenty to choose from!)? Or was the Oronin/Mount
>Fire thing just a Myth from Mythic Times? I am still unsure how to approach
>this cluster..

This was actually argued about by Davids Cake & Dunham and me for input into DD Wendarian campaign before an answer was given by Greg.

Basically the solution is that there are four zones of Blue People influence and Daxdarius, Urvairinus and Bisos got rid of the Blue People from three of them. The Bisosae remember Bisos defeating IvinZoraRu of the Shoreline of the Sweet Sea, The Dara Happans remember YarGan's defeat at the hands of Urvairinus (near lake Listor?) whereas the Pelandans remember The Big Dax defeating the Blue People.

The chronological pattern is more complex but since we don't know how Daxdarius defeated the Blue People or whether he was before or after Urvairinus (This is an area of major scholarly debate within the Lunar Empire FWIW). I do think the Lunars are unlikely to resolve this because Plentonius has mixed up the order of several emperors.

Nick Effingham:

>But would they believe in aging? They aren't aging because of time,
>therefore you mihgt have a young, virile father whose son has turned
>into a eldery man whose about to push up the daisies. Ergo, time
>ain't working.

There is the speech of Old Man who comes to hell and talks with Eristi the Doubter about going to rest his bones. The learned may protest that this is Uz lore but I shall point out that the Book was written by Minaryth Purple who included it without comment.

>As a side point, have you ever wondered why the Orlanthi call time Time
>rather than "the Net that Seperates the Planes". I think the name alone
>implies that pre-Time time didn't exist in the eyes of the Orlanthi.

Or Time merely could be an Orlanthi Word meaning something completely different. ('Time? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.')

Me>>WF is not the Orlanthi PoV. It is the God Learner PoV and reflects
>>their experiences on the Heroplane.

>IMO, the Orlanthi society is heavily influenced by Gl perspective, and that
>most of the material Greg wrote is Orlanthi/GL POV.

I think the KoS myths are the closest to the Orlanthi PoV and that books like Uz Lore and all that are tainted with GodLearnerism.

Me>>But the concept of a genealogy itself is a timely event. There was
>>a time when X lived and a time before he lived. Ergo the Orlanthi
>>believe in time.

>I can't see how this proves the belief in linear time measured in years.

I never said they measured it in years! I said they did believe in a linear time occuring in Godtime and listed days/nights and genealogies in support. IMO if an Orlanthi if years existed then he would have said that Years are invention of the Evil Emperor with his 294 commoners. We only tolerate them now because of the Great Compromise.