time after Time

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:56:55 +0800

>WF is not the Orlanthi PoV. It is the God Learner PoV and reflects
>their experiences on the Heroplane.

YES!         I think the God Learners believed that the time before the dawn was timeless. But this was because they had experienced it through heroquesting - - they had experienced strange things with time when exploring the Godtime myths.

        The Godlearners ignored the records of other cultures who said that there was time then because
a) they simply felt that no one had truly explored the heroplane and tried to reconcile its time scale in the same way as they had - they were the first to truly discover its timelessness. and
b) the records of other cultures where, of course, based on their inferior cultural prejudices and tradition, rather than God Learner rational investigation.
and
c) to the Godlearners, what was experienced through heroquesting is far more important than history anyway - they want to understand the way the world works, not the way it was.

        I think the Godlearners are wrong - but only in that they assume that their heroquesting experiences of the heroplane reflected the mundane life of the people alive then.

>You would get similar answers from a Praxian shaman. He would say that his
>people have always lived on the plains and always herded Eiritha's beasts.

        Taking the Praxian example rather than the Orlanthi one, though what I want say applies also to the Orlanthi, No. The Praxian shaman believes that once Prax was fertile and green, and once animals and men where not in the relationship they are now. He believes there was a time before the Survival Covenant, a time when it was not necessary because survival was easy. He believes Tada was alive once, even though he died in the Godtime. And before Tada died, he did things. And before that, was born. Telling him that Tada has always been dead would make no sense to him.

        Even in the extremely unlikely event that I agree that before the Dawn Time was truly different, I certainly do not think anyone but the most Godlearnerised believes it.

        Just because a mythic event occurred in the Godtime according to Godlearner cosmology does NOT mean that the people who believe that myth are not able to conceive of a time before and after that event. A Godlearner might theorise that their concept of time in the Godtime is naive, but I don't think they'd pay him much attention.

>I'm
>certainly not proposing that the nature of a deity is understandable or
>immutable but I don't think it's entirely dependent on its worshippers
>either.

        Agreed. But I think the God Learners thought the nature of a deity was entirely dependent on its worshippers (or at least the heroquests and myths of its worshippers).

        The Lunars would probably say the God Learners understood the Gods we know are only masks, but then failed to understand that the masks have wearers.

        Cheers

                David