mostly Pelandan

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:35:09 +0800

>In godtime,
>when Humakt killed Grandfather Mortal - people started dying and KEPT ON
>dying.

        Well, here's where I disagree with Daniel. I think the story of Grandfather Mortal and Humakt is a story, a myth. I think people died before the myth was invented. And afterwards. Much the same.

        But before the myth, there was death but not Death. Until it was named and explained how Humakt had that power, there were no Humakti and no Death magics. People died before then, though.

Nick E.
>I don't think we've been gregged at all, we just know that the Dara
>Happans, and many other cultures, believe in Time whereas the Orlanthi
>don't. The Entekosiad is most defintely not Orlanthi POV and is not part of
>this debate, as I see it.

        I thought we were argueing about the nature of Godtime time, not just Orlanthi beliefs on it.
Even if (though it seems unlikely) some Orlanthi believe that time did not exist in the Godtime, if it bloody well did and the Pelandans are pretty clear on that point, surely that makes the whole debate rather frivolous?

Nick,
> * King Oronin's invasion created Lake Oronin and the Oronin River
> * Daxdarius founded the Pelandan Empire around these landmarks
> * Daxdarius is credited with driving away the Blue People
> * Bisos is also credited with driving away the Blue People
> * and maybe Lendarsh is too (I cannot recollect just now!)
>
>Were there two episodes of the Evil Blue Folk Dominating Pelanda (mind you, the
>Entekosiad lists plenty to choose from!)? Or was the Oronin/Mount Fire thing
>just a Myth from Mythic Times? I am still unsure how to approach this
>cluster...

        Discussion between myself, Peter, and David Dunham was lengthy on this particular point, when David was trying to sort it out for his Oronin game. David asked Greg to clear up a few points as well. Yeah, everyone and their dog gets to fight the blue people in some form.

        I think our eventual conclusion was that all Daxdarius and Bisos fought the Blue people, and while it was at different times, the more important factor was that it was probably also in slightly diferent places.

A brief quote from Greg, via David Dunham (hoping neither of them mind)
>I think it was more probably a matter of regions rather than time. Bisos
>cleared them in the south, Dax in the east, High Gods in the lowlands.

        The difficult one to fit in is Urvairainus, who seems to have dragged a large army over there and given the blues a good kicking without any of the Entekosiad mentioning it. I think Greg thinks this came first, but it does seem bit strange that it was such a big deal to the Dara Happans but unrecorded in Pelanda. Alternatively Urvairainus could have been an ally of Daxdarius - but then again, though they occur 'about the same time' that doesn't mean they are in the same century, our knowledge is so vague.

        There are distinct different periods of the blue people though, it seems. The blue people were not always 'abominable' (ie didn't always worship dark underground hungry gods). And Bisos seems to take on the gods of the blues while Dax has a more purely military campaign (at least, we don't have any myths of Dax taking on the blues gods).

        Most of the results of the discussion are in the Oronin writeup on Davids web site.

        Cheers

                David

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #278