heresies

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:52:00 -0800

Hey Y'all -
  1. Martin! Great Story about Solthenik! Hooray for creative plot ideas! More!
  2. Telmori - I made great use of them in my Dorastor campaign. Cursed or Pure, Telmori are intensely loyal, family-oriented, and cunning - and this does not change when they are in wolf form. The Telmori in Dorastor are the only beings who interact positively with the Giant Spiders (trading meat for spider silk). They also support a crazed but altruistic type of shaman who take on the most dangerous spirits for the good of their kin, though it eventually kills them. After interacting with various groups of humans originating from Prax to Peloria, my Orlanthi PC's in Dorastor came to trust their Telmori neighbors more than they trusted most humans.
  3. the Free Will of Gods Greg has said two things: that the gods have no free will to act in ways outside their established idioms(Heroquest talk, Melborne Con), and that MYSTERY is the most important aspect in Gloranthan stories. Therefore, if a glimmer of occasional divine free will enhances the mystery of your Glorantha, include it! To Gloranthans, the gods are real and powerful. If they dissapoint their gods, the gods will starve their families, desert them in combat, or leave them to the mercy of the wild spirits. But sometimes terrible or unusual things happen anyway, and then you have a mystery. I try to keep my PC's confident in the real power of their deities, but ever aware that a religious failing (in a ritual or a personal devotion) my have disastrous effects. Gloranthans don't fully understand the true mechanisms behind their deities, why should the players? I don't care for the "vending machine" concept of deistic interaction, nor do I like the "It ain't gonna happen if Orlanth don't want it to" approach. Use elements of both, and maintain the mystery.

Pam