Timely Telmori

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:28:25 +1200

Lewis Jardine:

Me>> You have not disproven that effect erosion did not occur then. A
>> simple example makes me think otherwise. People became hungry in
>> the Old Days and ate to fill their bellies. The time taken for
>> things to mature is another example (ie Erosion of Youth).

>I am not convinced that this is relevant.

You have not disproven hunger which was mentioned. Care to revise your opinion that the entire paragraph is not relevant?

>I view maturing in a positive manner, the youth is gaining strength,
>size, knowledge and wisdom. Thus the initial "aging" process is a
>building process, the generally positive result of experience and
>self development.

Change is change whether good or bad. Pop philosophy doesn't make it otherwise.

>Of course one might get injured or maimed during
>this process but that would be the result of an event, not time.

But this regrowing is still a _timely_ process. cf the regeneration of Harand Boardick after being burnt by the staff of Justice. Ergo time exists back then. Do you have *anything* to suggest otherwise?

>Is there any evidence (especially from an Orlanthi POV) that people
>died of Old Age before the Dawn.

There are plenty from the Entekosiad and the GRAY! I have quoted these time and time again (look at the end of Kestinoros's reign if you still want a reference). I'm getting quite tired of having to repeat myself again and again. So before you see fit to nitpick, read King of Sartar and imagine what life must have been like. They weren't all gods then so it's difficult to see how humans could cope with no time.

>I must confess my ignorance here, but is not the tale of the Emperor
>and his 24 servants returning from Hell after the LBQ the first point
>where the number 294 appears in Orlanthi Mythology?

No. Look at the Birth of Umath where the Umath goes to the Emperors court. He is cast out because Umath is not one of the Ten Nobles or 294 Commoners. Like I said, read KoS and imagine what type of society it must have been like. (Also read the GRAY and the Entekosiad if you can).

Frank Rafaelsen:

On Telmori

>But why hunt the most dangerous prey [humans] if you don't have to?

Telmori love salted tender food. Nothing else compares.

>I still belive
>the pure ones have displaced the other tribes from the best huntinggrounds
>in telmoria. The best areas would be the more "virgin areas" away from
>settled humans. Forcing the tainted ones to find alternative foodsources.

But how do they do this? The Pure Ones are hampered by the fact that the Wild Ones are tougher than them every wildsday and every other day the odds are equal. And why would they do it?

Oliver Bernuetz:

>>>Why do any of these deities have to tell their worshippers anything? It
>>>ain't a lie 'til it's denied.

Me>>I faintly recall a Divination spell in da roolz. I've never heard
>>of any plausible suggestion as to why a god would lie to his worshippers
>>(unless he was the Trickster).

>As I said it's not a lie unless it's denied. As far as I can tell you're
>working from the following assumptions:

>1) People are generally inquisitive and questioning

>Wrong-people are generally unquestionning and submissive-they believe what
>authority figures tell them.

Wrong. *Some* people will be inquisitive and questioning. There have been philosophy minded people in just about every closed minded religion you care to name. St Thomas Aquinas, William of Occam and Ibn Rushd for starters. These people weren't outcasts but were actually *listened* to by the authorities. They weren't all doupleplusgoodthinkful bigbrotherluving proles in the middle ages.

>Societies have been based on lies before and this isn't even
>that big a lie.

Codswallop. It's quite a big one. I strongly dislike it because in the 1500+ years of Dara Happan Society, *someone* is bound to spill the beans that their imperial theology is based on the gloranthan equivalent of the Donation of Constantine. If Yelm was really bound by something called the compromise, then why wasn't it revealed during the Plentonic Debates, the Empire of Nysalor, the Karsdevanic Clarification, the birth of the Lunar Empire and the Restoration? All these events were accompanied by serious soulsearching. The Plentonic debates started because people noted contradictions between what Plentonius said and the real world. For something as big as 'Our God is not all powerful' *not* to be revealed all through these years strains credibility methinks.