Various

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:00:34 +0000

Saravan:

>Could you give the exact reference for this (page and location on page)?
>I'd like to look it up now that you've brought it to our attention.

Certainly, p.75 in the grey box.

>As a comment on this part of the debate, so far, I think it no longer looks
>like it is getting anywhere. The views seem to be polarised, and I can
>detect no sense of feeling for common ground or understanding.

Actually, I'm starting to come to the same opinion as well...

> A good option for me would be to clarify
>which Orlanthi each of us is talking about, and what concept of "time" each
>of us is talking about.

I think this would take a *long* time. Each element of time has, up until now, been dissected, put under the microscope and then discarded with unsatisfied results.

> I think this would indicate that many of us are
>actually talking about different concepts, and arguing at cross purposes as
>they intermingle.

Okay, I give in!! I give up!! These conversations are starting to make my head spin! This is my last post about bloody time!!

>Can you give me an example of a loop-hole or paradox related to time in
>mythology that a Sartarite Orlanthi might bring up with his or her godi (or
>pick a different group if you like)?

But, since I don't want to look as if I'm kopping out, I shall think of a paradox and send it via private E-mail, which might well be the best place for the Time argument.

David:

> I thought we were argueing about the nature of Godtime time, not
>just Orlanthi beliefs on it.

 Hey!! Read my posts more clearly :) I specifically said i was giving only the Orlanthi POV, nevermind to whether *I* thought it was right or wrong.

>Even if (though it seems unlikely) some Orlanthi believe that time did not
>exist in the Godtime, if it bloody well did and the Pelandans are pretty
>clear on that point, surely that makes the whole debate rather frivolous?

Who cares? Not me, that's for sure. The question "What is the *real* truth" doesn't matter to me, only what people believe at the moment.

Lewis:

>Is there any evidence (especially from an Orlanthi POV) that people
>died of Old Age before the Dawn. I know we have loads of references
>to Grandfather Mortal (which just means that he had had loads of kids
>who had begat kids etc.) and a few to Old Man (which might just be
>post event translation). But I can't remember any evidence that the
>Orlanthi had the concept of people dieing from the aging process before
>the Dawn.

Cheers for agreeing with me.

Michael Raaterova:

>If the gods weren't
>active and present in the world with a will of their own, they'd be nothing
>but natural forces with accessible spells.

I think this is how the GL, Ralzakark and certain Illuminates think of them, enormous plug sockets linked up to Arachne Solara Electricity.

All IMHO,

Nick E.

Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.