Myth and Time

From: Jose Ramos <Jose.Ramos_at_univ-angers.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 02:26:31 +0000

        I have followed with interest the Time thread, until the last digests, where it began degenerating. Fortunately Loren y Martin have given a bit of "real" mythical perspective. As some people have already defended positions similar to what I think (specially Peter M.), I will tackle a different subject.

        Something clearly happened that differentiates Godtime and time. I do not think it is the Compromise (quite "compromised" as a general gloranthan truth) or the First Dawn. IMHO it is the victory over chaos, or IFWW.         According to most versions of IFWW many "last" beings, all alone, found strength in the other parts of Glorantha to repulse Chaos. What that means for me is that in that last moment the weight of all the myths, who have magical power in Glorantha, were able to recreate the world. So Glorantha is the consensual image of all the myths in existance at the time of IFWW. Of course, as myth equals power in Glorantha, you can change the consensual image applying enough mythical power, heroquesting. Or you can tread paths from other myths, who are as strong as you.

        Personally, I have always thought that the downfall of the GLs was doubt. Once you think that what you do is not right, you are punished. And to have a subconscious death wish when you deal with the Hero Plane is clearly dangerous. Arkat did not doubt, so he never failed.

        All of this is of course my opinnion, and you can flame at will. It is currently freezing so it will be welcome.

Jose

P.S. I have heard contradictory statements about the universality of the IFWW, but at least it is clearly widespread.